With December fast approaching, look to this checklist for some fast and easy ways to stay safe and organized this holiday season! (Our favorite part: some take only 5 minutes or less!)
- Smoke Detector Check
At a minimum, it’s recommended to have a smoke detector on every level of the house, in all beds, and adjacent to sleeping areas.
- Replace Weatherstripping
Check weatherstripping and caulk for any small gaps around windows especially – this can make a huge difference when saving money in utilities.
- Get Ready For Holiday Guests
Prep your pad for visitors by laundering all the guest linens and towels, stocking up on toiletries and washing all china and silver you plan on serving with dinner. Break out the decorations, stock up on cold weather essentials such as salt or snow shovels, and stoke the fireplace!
- Block Out Pests
When the temperatures drop, pests drop in. Give the exterior of your home a thorough once over, sealing any holes around pipes or cables running into your house.
- Clean Garbage Disposal
Doing the dishes is already a chore – this found-at-home solution couldn’t be easier!
– Pour 1/2 cup baking soda into the disposal.
– Follow it with a cup of white vinegar. The vinegar and baking soda will react to form frothy bubbles.
– When the bubbles subside, pour a pot of boiling water down the disposal and let it sit for about five minutes.
– Turn on the water in the sink and the disposal, and let it run until the disposal is rinsed out.To keep the disposal smelling fresh: put some leftover chunks of lemon in an ice cube tray, cover them with water, and freeze. Whenever your garbage disposal gets a bit funky, run a few “lemon cubes” through the disposal for a quick freshen-up.
Tell us: what’s on your checklist for November?